4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2010 7:10 PM by matt.timken RSS

SNMP trap issue

matt.timken
Currently Being Moderated

I have configured a FAS270 for SNMP and have compiled the netapp.mib without error.

The compiled mib defines traps as version 2, but the filer is sending version 1 traps.

How do I get the filer to send version 2 traps?

Should I shift to SNMP version 3?

• Re: SNMP trap issue
    flank

There is no configuration where the storage controller will send SNMPv2 traps.

The mib file and corresponding executables were updated in 7.3 to allow snmpv2 and snmpv3 request functionality.

The traps within the mib text file were also updated to ensure that the mib would work with most mib compilers, but the corresponding functionality was never implemented.

matt.timken

We are running version 7.3.2 on all our FAS devices (3140, 2050 & 270's).

Will user defined traps work around the problem?

Will switching to SNMP version 3 help?

Or, do I have to custom build V1 trap definitions?

flank

User-defined traps won't help here.

One thing you can try is write a script to modify netapp.mib traps to be in the same format as they were in 7.2. Or you can just use the 7.2 mib temporarily for your traphost.

Can you tell us what clients you are using, as well as the tests you are running? We can do some debugging here, and possibly post a version of netapp.mib that may fix your problem.

matt.timken

I'm currently using the mibs found on the NetApp (vol0/etc/mibs) for my NMS.

The trap definitions are at the tail-end of the netapp.mib file for version 1.9 and 2.0.

Could I do a quick copy/paste replacing the version 2 traps (NOTIFICATION-TYPE) with the version 1 trap definitions (TRAP-TYPE), then compile the new mib file?

Or, could I just add the version 1 trap definitions and recompile the mib?

I'm using AdremSoft NetCrunch 6 as the NMS. I have an alert definition set that captures any trap coming from the device (a NetApp in this case.)

I have attached a screen shot of a captured trap from the NetApp. Note the SNMP version number in the screen shot. If I narrow the alert definition to version 2 snmp traps, no captures occur.

Thanks for your help...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...