4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2011 1:02 AM by morse2010 RSS

Free SHIP and BEER with NFSv4 (training)?!?

konkle NetApp Employee Novice
Currently Being Moderated

In this 30 minute training session, I go through NFSv4 using the SHIP mnemonic, so you can improve your BEER consumption :-)  Seriously, BEER is another mnemonic - Basic Engineering Emergent Requirements.

SHIP covers for specific areas of business and technology value in NFSv4:

• Security - Authentication and Authorization
  • High-availability - Leased Locks and File Modes
  • Internationalization - Support for UNICODE file names, i.e glyph, pictures and Latin characters
  • Performance - Compound Operations and Delegations

The free training covers that as well as some business benefits.  Finally, I talk a little bit about NFSv4.1 aka the coveted parallel NFS -- .

The primary business benefits for NFSv4 are user experience (performance), intellectual property management (security/internationalization), capital cost reduction (security) and business cadence/operations (high availability).  We have several customers that depend on NFSv4 to fuel there Tibco EMS architecture because Tibco, NetApp's NFSv4 and Data ONTAP 7G support four key elements:

1) write order, 2) synchronous write, 3) distributed file locking, 4) unique write ownership (you can read more about this in my blog series below)

FREE NFSv4 TRAINING

After you review this FREE training -- yes FREE!?!?  Please review this blog series (which I'm still working on, priorities I know...:-)

Keep an eye on the NFS SIG at SNIA as we'll be updating the public site with key NFS and Parallel NFS happenings at SNIA and the broader market:

http://www.snia.org/forums/esf/programs/about/nfs_sig/

Joshua

Technical Evangelist, NAS

Co-Chair NFS SIG, SNIA

Message was edited by: Joshua Konkle    had to update a bad link

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points