6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2013 6:19 PM by MARIKOTAGAWA RSS

How to move snapmirror destination volumes to another aggregates?

MARIKOTAGAWA
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, all.

I have the below 4 snapmirror volumes (1 source, 3 destinations). filer_A -> filer_B -> filer_C -> filer_D.

I was told to expand the source volume by 500GB. In the meantime I have to expand all 3 destination volumes by 500GB. But Now I found aggr0 on filer_B, filer_C ad filer_D don't have enough space to expand the vol_A by 500GB. Then my boss said that I should move the destination volumes on filer_B/filer_C/filer_D from aggr0 to aggr1. aggr1 has enough space to create 2.5 TB vol.

1. Source volume: vol_A: filer_A : aggr1 : 2TB

2. Destination volume1 (local site) : vol_A : filer_B : aggr0 : 2TB

3. Destination volume2 (DR site) : vol_A : filer_C : aggr0 : 2TB

4. Destination volume3 (DR site) : vol_A : filer_D : aggr0 : 2TB

Here, I have a question. What is the correct steps to complete my mission?

I can't stop snapmirrorring for long due to a contract term with my client.

I'm thinking the below steps. But I'm not sure it works or not.  Could you anyone instruct me a proper steps? Thank you in advance. Mariko

1. on filer_D, snapmirror quiesce -> snapmirror break

2. on filer_C, snapmirror quiesce -> snapmirror break

3. on filer_B, snapmirror quiesce -> snapmirror break

4. on filer_D, volume vol_A offline

5. on filer_C, volume vol_A offline

6. on filer_B, volume vol_A offline

7. on filer_D create a 2.5TB vol_A on aggr1, restrict

8. on filer_C create a 2.5TB vol_A on aggr1, restrict

9. on filer_B create a 2.5TB vol_A on aggr1, restrict

10. on filer_A expand vol_A by 500GB.

11. on filer_B, initialize snapmirror

12. Once snapmirror between filer_A and filer_B becomes idle status, on filer_C, initialize_snapmirror

13, Once snapmirror between filer_B and filer_C becomes idle status, on filer_D, initialize_snapmirror

Done

• Re: How to move snapmirror destination volumes to another aggregates?
    resqme914

Use the vol move command so you don't have to re-baseline.

1.  On filer D, quiesce and break snapmirror relationship then vol move start vol_A aggr1.  Resync snapmirror relationship after volume finishes moving.

2.  On filer C, quiesce and break snapmirror relationship then vol move start vol_A aggr1.  Resync snapmirror relationship after volume finishes moving.

3.  On filer B, quiesce and break snapmirror relationship then vol move start vol_A aggr1.  Resync snapmirror relationship after volume finishes moving.

4.  On filers B, C, and D, quiesce and break snapmirror relationships,

5.  On filers A, B, C, and D, resize vol_A to 2.5TB.  You may have to change the vol option fs_size_fixed to off before you can resize.

6.  Clean up any leftover ndmv snapshots created by vol move.

7.  Resync all snapmirror relationships B, C, and D in that order.

Read up on vol move documentation for options that you may want to utilize, such as doing manual cutover instead of automatic, etc.

There may be faster and slicker ways to accomplish what you want, but I tested this way and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

J_ABELLA

I do it a little different when I have to juggle SM destination volumes.  This can all be done the gui.

I create a snapmirror to the new location named CurrentVolume_New.  Whem the mirror is done I kick off an update of the original source and then do another update to my _new volume then I take both snapshot volumes offline and rename the current one to VolumeName_old and rename the _new to just VolumeName then bring it back online and kick of another SM update to make sure all is well.  Once that update goes you know you can go back and remove the _old which is already offline.

I haven't tried the volume move but I think I will next time.

-James

pradeepraul

As an alternative, you can create new volumes in aggr1 in your destination filers.

Sync all existing snapmirrors to make it up to date.

Once done, break all snapmirrors.

Create local snapmirrors of the existing volume in aggr0 to new volume in aggr1 in Filer B, C and D.

Once that is completed, break and delete the local snapmirrors.

Resync the existing snapmirror ro new volumes.

Once completed, you can delete the old volumes in aggr0.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...