3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 11:03 AM by resqme914 RSS

Using compression on initialization of SnapMirror relationship..

pclayton99
Currently Being Moderated

Hello..

I have been reading through the data protection document, the command line reference document and KB articles and I have not found an answer to a nagging question of mine.

Using the snapmirror.conf file I can add lines and text to lines in the file that result in OnTap doing data compression when sending data from the source to the target volume.

Some documents hinted that the snapmirror.conf file was effectively doing a 'snapmirror update' command under the covers.

What I would like to do is have data being compressed when initializing a new SnapMirror target volume.

Up to this point I have been using the typical 'snapmirror initialize -S toaster1:vol_a toaster2:vol_b' command line.

Is it possible to do data compression when doing the initial data transfer and if so how and where?

My thanks for your time.

pdc

• Re: Using compression on initialization of SnapMirror relationship..
    resqme914

Yes.  Make sure you add the entry into the snapmirror.conf file first (with the compression=enable option).  After you do that, then you can use the symbol/alias you created in the snapmirror.conf file in your snapmirror initialize command.

For example,

In snapmirror.conf file, add the lines

smc1211=multi(San1-vif01-10,San2-vif01-10)

smc1211:testvol San2:testvol compression=enable 0 * * *

And sample snapmirror initialize command:

San2>  snapmirror initialize -S smc1211:testvol San2:testvol

pclayton99

I ensured that the appropriate lines are in the snapmirror.conf file and then entered the SnapMirror command.

The result was the error message "....Transfer aborted: cannot connect to source filer.".

The message included the 'nodename' mentioned in the 'multi' statement which is not defined anywhere other than the snapmirror.conf file.

pdc

resqme914

That error message is fairly generic.  Do you have existing snapmirrors working between the source and destination filers?  Is your DNS working properly? Would an uncompressed snapmirror initialize (using ip addresses or dns names, and not the alias in the multi statement) work?  Have you checked your options snapmirror values and contents of /etc/snapmirror.allow?

It would help if you could provide the destination filer's snapmirror.conf file and the snapmirror initialize command you're using.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...