7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 7:48 PM by TYGARBYTE RSS

Wiring Guide for FAS2240-4 + DS4243 Shelf

TYGARBYTE
Currently Being Moderated

Hi - We have a filer installed over a year ago now. When we had it installed we assumed that it was done properly as this is our first NetApp device. After getting warning errors from the filer and further reading - investigating I believe that the SAS wiring is incorrect.

Below is the current wiring of our production NetApp.

netapp_setup.png

From reading the ACP is wired correctly - however when i run the config advisor I get the following errors. Which I believe the sas wiring is incorrect.

netapp_configadvisor.PNG

whats the correct way to wire this?

thanks

• Re: Wiring Guide for FAS2240-4 + DS4243 Shelf
    SEANLUCEOST

The SAS cabling is definitely incorrect.

The key rule to remember is "Circle to Square".  All cables should go from a Circle port to a square port.

Top Controller (A) Circle port connects to Shelf 1 Top (A) module Square port

Bottom Controller (B) Circle port connects to Shelf 1 Bottom (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Top (A) module circle port connects to Bottom Controller (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Bottom (B) module circle port connects to Top Controller (A) Square port

Cabling actually becomes clearer when you have more than one shelf.

Good luck!

• Re: Wiring Guide for FAS2240-4 + DS4243 Shelf
    TYGARBYTE

Thanks guys, Yes it is confusing first time round - all new to me.

From reading the wiring guide - closest example of our current setup for 2240-4 would be on page 43 ( although it is for a 2050 series - but the wiring guide is universal )

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1280392

FAS2050 multipath HA configuration with one disk shelf

The SAS port cabling sequence for each controller is 1a,1b.

fas2050_multpath.PNG

When I copy the cable wiring to our current FAS2240-4, following the circle > square relationship. it would look like below.

netapp_correct_wiring.png

Which is also the same as the FAS2240-2 with external shelf,

https://communities.netapp.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-115513-22729/450-248/2240-Cable.JPG

and also same as

Top Controller (A) Circle port connects to Shelf 1 Top (A) module Square port

Bottom Controller (B) Circle port connects to Shelf 1 Bottom (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Top (A) module circle port connects to Bottom Controller (B) Square port

Shelf 1 Bottom (B) module circle port connects to Top Controller (A) Square port

Now the fun part of correcting this - without effecting current production systems on the filer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...