5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2013 11:20 PM by peter.lehmann RSS

Need to recreate a snapmirror

TRACY.LAUGLE Novice
Currently Being Moderated

Let me start by saying that I am very new to administering NetApp filers.  I inherited this position, and I have multiple NetApps in several locations.  All of them have been set up to snapmirror to each other.  My issue is that I am on the east coast (site 1), and I have one filer on the west coast (site 3).  The latency between the two locations is huge - we had to move some data from one filer here to the one there, and it took a week to move 80GB via snapmirror.  Someone I worked with stopped a snapmirror that was set up for  a CIFS qtree on filer1 in site 1 going to filer1 in site 3, and deleted it.  I don't see that snapmirror in the list any more when I go to snapmirror status.  How do I recreate the snapmirror for this qtree?  There is already data in the volume on the destination filer - I just want it to update again.  Is this possible, or do I have to start over (a horrible idea due to the latency)?  Any help will be gratefully accepted.

• Re: Need to recreate a snapmirror
    nigelg1965 Cyclist

Shot your colleague for a start

The following could work.

Assuming you've not added or modified any other snapmirrors.

Stop snapmirror

Restore the snapmirror.conf from before the deletion (should be in previous versions)

start snapmirror again

This may help too

https://communities.netapp.com/thread/24905

TRACY.LAUGLE Novice

Thanks for your reply.  Sometimes I wish I could shoot him.

Where would I find the previous versions of the file?  I'm trying to understand - how would this work? 

I thought the file system that was snapmirrored had an archive bit set (like a backup or robocopy) so that it would know what had changed - I thought that this was why the snapmirror wouldn't work unless it was initialized?

Sorry, I hope I'm making sense.

The thread doesn't apply to my situation.

nigelg1965 Cyclist

Hi

If browse to the folder \\filer\c$\etc and right click you should see previous versions (assuming you've a recent version of windows and ontap).

If that doesn't work, try \\filer\c$\etc\.snapshot or \\filer\c$\etc\~snapshot from a windows box. Or //filer/vol/vol0/etc/~snapshot from a Linux box.

TRACY.LAUGLE Novice

Could you please answer a related question?

Some places I read that in order to initialize a SnapMirror destination, the volume must be offline and restricted.  Yet, when I do this, I get the error message "destination is offline, is restricted, or does not exist.  The snapmirror exists in my snapmirror.conf file.  The command I used is snapmirror initialize DESTSERVER:/vol/main/CIFS.  If I leave the volume online, the snapmirror shows "Uninitialized".  Am I doing the correct thing?  Thanks for your help!

peter.lehmann Hall of Fame Certified Kart Racer

Hi

You write about a "qtree snapmirror" which is a bit different to setup and manage then "volume snapmirror".

With QSM the volume needs to be online, where with VSM the volume needs to offline/restricted.

Initialize the snapmirror will definitely resend the whole 80GB of data. But that will work if you use the correct command.

In order to "resync" the snapmirror, you need two things:

1. the correct entry in "snapmirror.conf"

2. snapshots on the destination volume as well was the source volume

If both are fulfilled you can use snapmirror update:

filer> snapmirror update [-k <n>][-s <src_snap>] [-c <dst_snap>][-S [<srcfiler>:]<srcpath>][-w] [<dstfiler>:]<dstpath>

in which <srcpath> and <dstpath> are

<volname> or </vol/volname/qtreename>

- forces snapmirror update of snapmirror destination

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points