2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2013 4:03 AM by obrakmann RSS

Managing NetApp filers using Puppet

NETAPPACT
Currently Being Moderated

Afternoon all,

I thought I'd drop by and post up my use of the NetApp OnTAP API for anyone who's interested...

So, in our environment, we've started using Puppet to automate as much of our Oracle/NetApp platform as we can. Storage was a NetApp NFS back-end, which initially we were managing by hand. However that quite quickly became cumbersome and impractical...

Enter Puppet Network Device support. This allows Puppet to manage devices that can't support the traditional agent-based model of Puppet; Instead, it allows Puppet to use SSH or API's to manage the device.

This triggered me to start searching for a suitable 'Module' that integrates Puppet with NetApp storage. However there wasn't one available...

So that left me with 3 options... Continue to manage manually, write some other method to handle our NetApp filers, or write a module to integrate Puppet with our NetApp filers.

Thankfully, I chose the 3rd option, and started writing a module to integrate Puppet with our NetApp filers.

The outcome of that is a Puppet NetApp network device module that allows you to manage most aspects of a NetApp filers configuration, from Users, Groups and Roles, through to Volumes, Qtrees, Exports, Quotas, and also SnapMirror relationships...

The list is also expanding, so if there is something that you think it would be really useful if it did this, then feel free to ask, or even better contribute

If you've got any further questions, feel free to reply to this discussion, drop me an email (fatmcgav[at]gmail[dot]com) or hit me up on Twitter (@fatmcgav).

Cheers

Gavin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...