6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2014 11:53 AM by MICHAELHOLLIS RSS

Ontap 8.2, SMB 3.0 and Hyper-V

tomfreemantle Novice
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I upgraded our FAS2240-2 filer on the weekend to Ontap 8.2.  Everything went ok.  I was hoping to use SMB 3.0 to store our Hyper-V VMs for out Windows 2012 hosts.  I can't seem to create any VMs on the new shares that I set up though.  I have CIFS connected to my domain and can browse and create files in any new shares I make.  I have given all the Hyper-V machine accounts full access to the share. I have tried Unix, NTFS and Mixed permissions on the volumes and shares.

When I just try and make a new VHD on the share I get this error:

New-VHD : Failed to create the virtual hard disk.

The system failed to create '\\obethree\vol_HyperV01\test\test.vhd': The request is not supported. (0x80070032).

'': The filename '\\obethree\vol_HyperV01\test\test.vhd' is reserved for use by Windows.  Error: 'The request is not

supported.' (0x80070032). (Virtual Machine ID )

The operation is not supported.

I created a GPO that enabled the HyperV machines to 'Manage auditing and security log' and applied it to the computer accounts for the filer in the domain.

If I try this on a share created on a Windows 2012 server, it works fine.

Interestingly, when I look at 'options' on the filer, I don't see any reference to SMB 3:

obethree> options cifs.smb

cifs.smb2.enable             on

cifs.smb2.signing.required   off

cifs.smb2_1.branch_cache.enable off

cifs.smb2_1.branch_cache.hash_time_out 3600       (value might be overwritten in takeover)

So have I not enable SMB 3.0 just by installing Ontap 8.2 or is this some sort of permissions issue?

Many thanks,

Tom

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points