6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 3:50 AM by tom.dewit RSS

SMSAP for Windows Snapvault integration - Retention

tom.dewit
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have added the post-processing job for SMSAP 3.3 on Windows to snapvault my backup. This works correctly, but because all backup names are unique, I don't know how to set a retention policy for my second line backups. In the backup job, I can only regulate primary retention on local storage. How to regulate retention for the secondary backups is not explained anywhere ...

Anyone have an idea ?

Grtz,

Tom De Wit

• Re: SMSAP for Windows Snapvault integration - Retention
    kryan

Hi Tom,

when you say integration, are you referring to DFM/UM integration?  If so, the secondary retention is specified in the protection policy assigned to the application dataset within the NMC.

Updating the link for SMO/SMSAP as I initially thought that this was a question about SMSP:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013335

The following link is for the Windows product integration with DFM/UM, and while it will not apply directly the discussion on retention (for Backup policies only since Mirrors do not have retention) and datasets will be applicable:  https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1011361

Thanks,

Kevin

tom.dewit

Hi Kevin,

It is SMSAP for Windows. Only SMSAP for Unix has OC integration at the moment :-(

Tom

kryan

Hi Tom,

you are correct - neither SMO or SMSAP for Windows integrates with DFM/UM.

I am not sure what script you are using to perform the Snapvault updates, however I suspect you should be specifying the retention for the primary and secondary locations on the controllers using "snapvault snap sched ...".

usage:

snapvault snap sched [-f] [-x] [-o <options>] <vol> <snapname> <sched_spec>

where <options> is <opt_name>=<opt_value>[[,<opt_name>=<opt_value>]...]

For more information about the available options, please see the

SnapVault man page.

where <sched_spec> is <cnt>[@<hour_list>][@<day_list>]

- schedules snapshot transfer and creation

snapvault snap sched [<vol> [<snapname>]]

- displays current snapshot schedules

Thanks,

Kevin

tom.dewit

I'm using the scripts that come with the product. They are located under C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SAP\plugins\examples\backup\create\post. I haven't changed anything for these scripts, I only copied them to the correct location and selected them to be used as post-processing scripts in my backup job. So the snapvault is triggered fine. This is the way the admin guide tells you to do snapvault or snapmirror updates with SMSAP for Windows.

snapvault snap sched can only be used if the snapshot name is consistent. However, the script retains the original snapshot name from the source and so it has an unique identifier every time.

Tom

grahn

Hi Tom,

So I have some bad news and some real considerations when using these scripts...

First, the scripts that you are referring to are actually broken to a large degree.  Unfortunately, the scripts being used will snapvault the incorrect snapshot, and ultimately the snapshot on the destination will not be valid based on the snapshots SMO took.  This is something that hasn't been corrected in our documenation, and I apologize for that!

The only way this will even remotely work is if your database is all sitting in one flexvol, but again, you will not be snapvaulting anything created by SMO...If everything is lined up properly, at best you might be able to get a crash-consistent copy, but I have no guarantees with that either.

I really wish I had better news...I would highly recommend to stop using those scripts, and potentially engage your account team to see if there are other options that Professional Services might be able to provide you!

Thanks!

Freddy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...