5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 7:56 AM by ASHWINPAWARTESL RSS

Netapp ISCSI Cabling and Configuration Design

BABARACUS
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

Brand new to netapp products and I have just taken delivery of a used IBM N Series N5200 branded FAS3020 active/active cluster with 4 disk shelves.

I am already familiar with other SAN/NAS systems and technologies but have never ventured into Netapp.

I have this unit specifically to learn Netapp storage and have a few questions that maybe you can help with as their is no such IBM support community for the N Series storage that I can find:

1) I would like to setup and configure iSCSI from the Netapp active/active cluster? Both filers have 4 * GB interfaces that can be used for iSCSI. What is the best practice design for iSCSI cabling, switch connectivity, etherchannel, any documenation for iSCSI design (as I have many questions e.g. should I use all 4 interfaces on each filer, iSCSI ip addressing, partner interface takaover, etherchannel between switches,VIP, etc).

2) I have the FAS3020 built and configured as an active/active cluster and have updated the Data Ontap to 7.3.7 so have already learned lots. However if I wanted to upgrade to the newer 8.1.2 Data Ontap is this available on this model?

3) I do have licenses for FCO, iSCSI and Snapdrive for Windows, does this provide snapshots, deduplication or is it a seperate license required on the filers themselves?

4) As the unit was not originally registered to me and secondhand I am unable to get any form of technical support, I am fine with this but it is making getting hold of any documentation difficult as the netapp site says I am unauthorised to access. Is there an easy way to get access to the documentation on your website?

5) What are your thoughts on the FAS3020? Is is still a viable storage solution or end of life?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Netapp ISCSI Cabling and Configuration Design
    ASHWINPAWARTESL
    Currently Being Moderated

Hi Ian,

Hope this helps.

1) I would like to setup and configure iSCSI from the Netapp active/active cluster? Both filers have 4 * GB interfaces that can be used for iSCSI. What is the best practice design for iSCSI cabling, switch connectivity, etherchannel, any documenation for iSCSI design (as I have many questions e.g. should I use all 4 interfaces on each filer, iSCSI ip addressing, partner interface takaover, etherchannel between switches,VIP, etc).

Ans:VIF (ifgrp as it's called now) + VLAN is what NetApp recommends.

WHY ? : The VIF (LACP) configuration not only increases network bandwidth but also enables network interface failover and can prevent takeover from occurring at the system level when a single network interface or connection fails. Active/active controllers without VIFs will experience system level failover every time a single network interface fails, so VIFs are highly recommended in the active/active controller environment. I suggest, configure VIF (ALL NICS) and VLAN assignments (For iSCSI/NFS/CIFS/Replication) symmetrically on both storage nodes.

2) I have the FAS3020 built and configured as an active/active cluster and have updated the Data Ontap to 7.3.7 so have already learned lots. However if I wanted to upgrade to the newer 8.1.2 Data Ontap is this available on this model?

Ans: 8.1.2 is supported on FAS3040 & 3070 but not FAS3020. Highest ONTAP version you can have on FAS3020 is 7.3.7 as per NetApp Hardware Universe.

3) I do have licenses for FCO, iSCSI and Snapdrive for Windows, does this provide snapshots, deduplication or is it a seperate license required on the filers themselves?

Ans: Snapshot are free (You don't need license for that). For dedupe you will need license as you have FAS3020 (Running 7.3.7). FYI: Starting in Data ONTAP 8.1 neither deduplication nor compression require any licenses, you can simply enable on a volume-by-volume basis

4) As the unit was not originally registered to me and secondhand I am unable to get any form of technical support, I am fine with this but it is making getting hold of any documentation difficult as the netapp site says I am unauthorised to access. Is there an easy way to get access to the documentation on your website?

Ans: I am not really sure on this. But, there are plenty of NetApp Best Practices Guides and TRs available free on-line if you google search. Alternatively, I can share some documents, write to me : ashwinwriter@gmail.com

5) What are your thoughts on the FAS3020? Is is still a viable storage solution or end of life?

Ans: End of Availability details for FAS3020:
    Last Order Date Last Shipment End of Support :06-March-2009
    End of Support Software:06-Apr-2011
    End of Support Hardware :06-Apr-2014

Nice read:
    https://communities.netapp.com/thread/14584

Thanks,

-Ashwin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...