34 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2013 2:01 AM by werner.komar RSS

Active (I/O) paths misconfigured on VMware with ALUA

pedro.rocha Cyclist
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all,

I am seeing a strange behavior in as customer´s virtual environment. We have this vSphere 5.0 cluster which is accessing its Datastores via FCP. VSC 4.1 is installed and recommended settings are applied to the cluster. Igroups on the NetApp side have ALUA enabled.

On the vSphere side, path selection policy is round-robin and SATP is ALUA aware also (VMW_SATP_ALUA). There are 8 paths from each ESXi server to the NetApp HA pair (4 to each controller, running DOT 8.0.2P3 7-mode).

With this configuration we are seeing all paths as "Active (I/O)". Which for me indicates that all paths are active and I/O is passing through them all. I understand that with this configuration we would have 4 paths as "Active (I/O)" (optimized paths) and 4 paths as "Active" (non-optimized paths).

Does anyone know what could be possibly happening here? What's my mistake?

Kind regards,

Pedro Rocha.

• Re: Active (I/O) paths misconfigured on VMware with ALUA
      pedro.rocha Cyclist

Hi Doug,

Have done that before, no success. Case opened, let's see what is happening. Will post here...

Regards,

Pedro Rocha

Sergio_Santos Novice

Hi Pedro,

I'm having the exact same problem and also have a ticket open but it's been a few weeks and so far no luck. Were you able to get a resolution? My setup is almost identical except my DOT is 8.0.2P4 and ESXi servers are 5.1 (though I had this problem with vSphere 5.0 as well). What kind of SAN switches are you using if I may ask? Thanks!

Sergio

pedro.rocha Cyclist

Hi Sergio,

I have not got any answer yet. Case is still opened. We are using Brocade 5100 switches for the SAN environment.

I'll post here if I get any luck.

Regards,

Pedro Rocha.

werner.komar Novice

Hello Pedro,

we have the same Configuratiuon / Problem. We use a FAS3240 Ontap 8.1.2 7 Mode with FC and Brocade 200E 4GB. The Servers come from HP CX7000 Blade

On the vSphere side, path selection policy is round-robin and SATP is ALUA.

All 4 Path are (Active IO). When we do a "CF Takeover", we lost the communication HOST <-> Datastore. If we "cf giveback" all 4 Path will come back online.

We open a Case since 29.4.2013. ....we are waiting...

Regards

Werner Komar

pedro.rocha Cyclist

Werner,

We are now dealing with VMware. NetApp told us to contact them since the issue does not appear to be related to NetApp.

I'll tell you when we have something.

Regards,

Pedro

Pedro Rocha

+55 61 8203-5800

Enviado pelo meu BlackBerry®

gatorman1369 Novice

Has this been sorted out, I am running into this issue with 5.1 hosts and ALUA enabled iGroups. I can give more details if needed but I am basically just reaching out before we submit a ticket on this.

Message was edited by: Allan Howard Here's a nmp list -d for one of my datastores ~ # esxcli storage nmp device list -d naa.60a98000572d43504f5a636d57537144 naa.60a98000572d43504f5a636d57537144    Device Display Name: NETAPP Fibre Channel Disk (naa.60a98000572d43504f5a636d57537144)    Storage Array Type: VMW_SATP_ALUA    Storage Array Type Device Config: {implicit_support=on;explicit_support=off; explicit_allow=on;alua_followover=on;{TPG_id=2,TPG_state=AO}{TPG_id=2,TPG_state=AO}{TPG_id=2,TPG_state=AO}}    Path Selection Policy: VMW_PSP_RR    Path Selection Policy Device Config: {policy=rr,iops=1000,bytes=10485760,useANO=0;lastPathIndex=3: NumIOsPending=0,numBytesPending=0}    Path Selection Policy Device Custom Config:    Working Paths: vmhba2:C0:T1:L61, vmhba2:C0:T0:L61, vmhba3:C0:T0:L61, vmhba3:C0:T1:L61    Is Local SAS Device: false    Is Boot USB Device: false

pedro.rocha Cyclist

Hello,

Nothing yet. I would recommend to check this with VMware also. From NetApp that is what I got (a direction to check with VMware).

Regards,

Pedro.

Sergio_Santos Novice

No luck on my end either. On my 5th NetApp tech and they referred me to VMware support to resolve the issue. I'm waiting to hear back from them, but they've been awfully quiet.

I'm about to change the PSP to using FIXED with a preferred path as I've been working on this for months and I need to move on with this project. Maybe someone with more time can follow up on this and get this resolved once and for all since it doesn't sound like just me with this problem. I'm gonna dump my setup below and some of the steps I've taken:

SETUP:

Brocade VA-40FC 8Gbp FC switches (independent dual-fabric)

DELL R910/R900 servers with two single port Qlogic QLE2460 HBAs (each HBA to one fabric)

NetApp V3240 controllers with DataONTAP 8.0.2P4, single_image cf mode (1st FC port to fabric 1, 2nd to fabric 2); no V features used (back-end storage array connections)

Single initiator, single target zoning (Each ESXi hba port to one NetApp FC port per controller)

TROUBLESHOOTING (none of the steps below had any affect on pathing):

* Was happening with ESXi 5.0 with same DELL servers and NetApp controllers, and McData DS4700M FC SAN switches

* Built new ESXi 5.1 server on DELL R720

* Tried old firmware HBA QLE 2460 4.00.012 later upgraded to latest 5.09.0000

* Tried old firmware dual-port HBA QLE 2462 4.00.030 later upgraded to latest 5.09.0000

* Change FC fill-word option on Brocade switch ports from 1 to 3 for esxi ports and netapp ports

* Injected latest Qlogic drivers into ESXi OS (originally using v911.k1.1-26vmw but now 934.5.20.0-1vmw)

* Disable port features (NPIV, trunking, QoS) on Brocade for ESXi port

* Upgraded to ESXi 5.1 U1

gatorman1369 Novice

I've submitted a ticket to VMware.

I hate to be the guy who throws a wrench into this, but I've got a similar site as the one that isn't working, my HQ actually, with HP DL 380 G7's, and ESXi builds that were upgraded from build 9xxxxx to 1065491. ONTAP is 8.1.2 7-mode on 3250's. ALUA works just fine here.

Last week I went to my DR site to do a revamp, get more hosts and it's own vCenter, as my hosts there were managed by my vCenter at HQ. ALUA not working.

Here are a few of my details on the site that isn't working.

CISCO MDS 9124 (Using MDS 9148 at HQ)

NetApp 3140 HA pair   ONTAP 8.1.2 P1 7-mode (yep, difference is the P1 compared to HQ)

HP DL380 G5

ESXi 5.1u1 Build 1065491   (Fresh install, not upgraded like HQ)

Emulex LPe12002 HBA   Firmware: 2.00A4   Drivers:8.2.3.1-127vmw (Same as HQ)

I've configured iGroups for each of my hosts with ALUA enabled, yes I've rebooted them.

I've even run the NetApp VSC "Set recommended Values" for of the timeouts and such . Also did not help. Mind you, that I haven't run this back at HQ, and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I've done similar TS steps as I am sure a lot of you have already done.. like blowing away the iGroups and creating them over again via System Manager GUI instead of using the command line originally. I've tried creating the iGroups without enabling ALUA first, saving the configuration, and then enabling ALUA both in SM and command line. Or creating a new LUN and seeing what the host decides the multipathing will be. I can not enable ALUA on the iGroup, and not have all paths active i/o... Going back to fixed path may be the thing I have to go with too.

I'll hopefully speak to VMware tomorrow.

pedro.rocha Cyclist

Hi all,

We are now speaking with VMware support, who directed us back to NetApp

support.

I am going to try to make them speak to each other since this is really

annoying and several people is getting same results.

Regards,

Pedro.

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM, gatorman1369 <

werner.komar Novice

Hi Pedro,

this is our ALUA Story: Netapp 3240, FCP, ALUA Misconfigure
                        We have a case open over 6 Month and Netapp Support don’t know what’s going on. We always have 4 Active FCP Path in ESXi. (2 Active I/O and 2 Active should be normal). We check everything, the ESXi config, WWPNs Zoning, nothing help. After long time deal with Netapp Support, we do our own investigation and we found out that there is a Problem with the "local.single_image.key" and "partner.single_image.key". You see this in Lun config:
                        Code:
                        priv set diag
                        lun config
                        output: (the output has more information but this are the important)
                        local.single_image.key = "157459xxxxx"
                        partner.single_image.key = "15746xxxxx"
                        local.serialnum = "2000004xxxxx"
                        partner.serialnum = "5000002xxxxx"

This numbers should be correct on both HA Pairs visa versa. In our case the "partner.single_image.key" was not the "local.singel_image.key" from the other HA controller.
                        We ask Netapp Support what’s going on with this numbers and the told us that "could be" a Problem. Then we ask for an Action Plan to change the "partner.single_image.key" to correct the problem.
                        We also ask, if we change the partner.single_image.key, did anything else change? And Netapp Support said no.

Code:
                        priv set diag
                        fcp stop
                        lun config set partner.single_image.key xxxxxxxxxx (we enter the HA Partners local.single_image.key)
                        fcp start
                        priv set
                        reboot (do automatic takeover)

and... after reboot ... WWPN change automatically on the controller where we change the partner.single_image Key.
                        We think about to change manually the WWPNs back to the original setting. We don’t know if it’s open another problem. We decide to change the zoning and in both Brocade Switches and: HERE WE GO
                        We reboot our 12 ESXi Servers and ALUA did the Job. After this, we bring 200 VM back online.
                        The Problem start with a FAS3240 Motherboard replacement.

Regards
                        Werner

PS-SUPPORT Novice

We had a similar issue with two FAS 3240 in a streched Metro Cluster using FC.

The solution for our environment was to disable ALUA on IGroup within the Netapp.

Then the ESX-Servers use default-ALU (VMW_SATP_DEFAULT_AA). Path Policy is set to Round robin (VMWARE).

Maybe this helps.

Regards,

ps-support

PS-SUPPORT Novice

Additional info:

you have to reboot the esx servers after disabling ALUA on the netapp, then the esx servers should use VMW_SATP_DEFAULT_AA  instead of VMW_SATP_ALUA.

Regards,

ps-support

pedro.rocha Cyclist

Hi,

Disabling ALUA does not seem to be a solution. AFAIK it is recommended to use ALUA with roud robin policy for this environment. Or not?

We have opened a case with VMware since this appears to be a VMware issue. I'll post here what we find out.

Regards,

Pedro Rocha.

sinergy_storage Novice

Hi everybody. Same issue to us. Customer with Metrocluster 3240 / two fabric (host ESXi 5.1 no update 1) with 2 HBA QLOGIC - 8 path all in Active I/O.

In the same cluster vmware also we are zoned with IBM SVC. SVC uses all active I/O path enabled.

We expect from Netapp the traditional ALUA, so Active I/O to half of the path and the Others only in "Active".

is there any response from VMWARE/NetApp

what about changing Advanced paramters

Disk.UseDeviceReset from 1 to 0 or

Disk.UseLunReset ????

sinergy_storage Novice

what about the information regarding optimizations path written on this recent vmware kb?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1008113

It seems something tied to the single device

wainting further response

gatorman1369 Novice

I've run the "esxcli storage core device list" command in a ALUA working environment as well as my non-working environment. Results from both are the same.

Particularly from this KB you mention....

Queue Full Sample Size: 0

Queue Full Threshold: 0

Example:

ALUA working

naa.60a98000572d43504b5a66444d755758

Display Name: NETAPP Fibre Channel Disk (naa.60a98000572d43504b5a66444d755758)

Has Settable Display Name: true

Size: 512078

Device Type: Direct-Access

Multipath Plugin: NMP

Devfs Path: /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.60a98000572d43504b5a66444d755758

Vendor: NETAPP

Model: LUN

Revision: 811a

SCSI Level: 4

Is Pseudo: false

Is RDM Capable: true

Is Local: false

Is Removable: false

Is SSD: false

Is Offline: false

Is Perennially Reserved: false

Thin Provisioning Status: yes

Attached Filters: VAAI_FILTER

VAAI Status: supported

Other UIDs: vml.020026000060a98000572d43504b5a66444d7557584c554e202020

Is Local SAS Device: false

Is Boot USB Device: false

ALUA not working

naa.60a98000572d43504f5a6b337a643563

Display Name: NETAPP Fibre Channel Disk (naa.60a98000572d43504f5a6b337a643563)

Has Settable Display Name: true

Size: 266254

Device Type: Direct-Access

Multipath Plugin: NMP

Devfs Path: /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.60a98000572d43504f5a6b337a643563

Vendor: NETAPP

Model: LUN

Revision: 811a

SCSI Level: 4

Is Pseudo: false

Is RDM Capable: true

Is Local: false

Is Removable: false

Is SSD: false

Is Offline: false

Is Perennially Reserved: false

Thin Provisioning Status: yes

Attached Filters: VAAI_FILTER

VAAI Status: supported

Other UIDs: vml.020064000060a98000572d43504f5a6b337a6435634c554e202020

Is Local SAS Device: false

Is Boot USB Device: false

Appreciate the time and\ the KB link.

gatorman1369 Novice

While not fixed, I've run this command on my not working ALUA filers... I think this is our issue here and I'll update as this move along.

MyFiler> lun config_check -v

Checking for down fcp interfaces

======================================================

The following FCP HBAs appear to be down

0c  LINK NOT CONNECTED

0a  LINK NOT CONNECTED

Checking initiators with mixed/incompatible settings

No Problems Found

Checking igroup ALUA settings

(null)  No Problems Found

Checking for nodename conflicts

No Problems Found

Checking for initiator group and lun map conflicts

No Problems Found

Checking for igroup ALUA conflicts

No Problems Found

Checking for duplicate WWPNs

The following WWPNs are duplicate:

500a0981892accc6

500a0982892accc6

500a0983892accc6

500a0984892accc6

sinergy_storage Novice

now we are wainting for a time Windows on the customer's production infrastructure to trying a selective zoning.

In other words, the problem seems to be tied to the number o path to the devices that is major of 4.

In another cluster with only 4 path to datastores the ALUA works perfectly.

We'try to remove some path from fabric so that a max of 4 path will be available. Then see the results.

If somebedy could test this situztion in time before us, please write a feedback.

Bye

Sinergy

Sergio_Santos Novice

Hi Sinergy,

We've got 4 paths total here and it's not working (they all have Active (I/O)). The four paths breakdown like this:

Fabric 1

Path 1: ESX vmhba1 to V3240 Controller 1 Port 0d

Path 2: ESX vmhba1 to V3240 Controller 2 Port 0d

Fabric 2

Path 3: ESX vmhba2 to V3240 Controller 1 Port 4a

Path 4: ESX vmhba2 to V3240 Controller 2 Port 4a

I would try to change your pathing scheme anyway because there does not seem to be a clear pattern when this happens and when it doesn't. No word from the VMware tech on my end. I don't know if I mentioned it, but all my ESX setups have been fresh--no upgrades from 4.0 to 5.0 to 5.1. I installed both a new vCenter sever and reinstalled ESXi each time.

Also, I was trying to pick the brain of the Netapp tech to find out if there's a way to debug the ALUA negotiation between the ESX and the controller. Either a log or in real time. Alas, it doesn't sound like there is any way to do that.

pedro.rocha Cyclist

Hello all,

I am reopening my case with NetApp. VMware is telling me that the TPG parameter is being erroneously passed to the vSphere cluster for some Datastores (and that this is sent from the storage to the vSphere). Here's an example of bad configuration:

~ # esxcli storage nmp device list | grep -A 5 naa.60a9800064656d735a346b436a54426b

naa.60a9800064656d735a346b436a54426b

Device Display Name: NETAPP Fibre Channel Disk (naa.60a9800064656d735a346b436a54426b)

Storage Array Type: VMW_SATP_ALUA

Storage Array Type Device Config: {implicit_support=on;explicit_support=off; explicit_allow=on;alua_followover=on;{TPG_id=2,TPG_state=AO}{TPG_id=2,TPG_state=AO}}

Path Selection Policy: VMW_PSP_RR

Path Selection Policy Device Config: {policy=rr,iops=1000,bytes=10485760,useANO=0;lastPathIndex=9: NumIOsPending=0,numBytesPending=0}

Path Selection Policy Device Custom Config:

Best wishes,

Pedro Rocha.

gatorman1369 Novice

Pedro,

This was exactly what I was seeing. TPG_id=x on all of my SATDC.

Please run a "lun config_check -v" from your filers. When I did yesterday, I noticed duplicate WWPN's from a filer head swap that was preformed a few weeks ago. Also run a "fcp show adapter" on both filers and compare the FC NODENAMEs and FC PORTNAMEs. Guess what, mine where identical on both filers.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013497&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=null#Storage_controller_head_upgrade_best_practice_procedure_for_SAN

Resolving duplicate fibre channel WWPNs between nodes in an HA-pair

"WWPNs can be duplicated across ports in an HA-pair under certain circumstances. As a side effect, to duplicate WWPNs, the ALUA configuration will also be duplicated causing all MPIO path states to be either optimized or non-optimized. This issue typically occurs when existing HA-pair systems configured with FCP are split and rejoined with the new nodes. The following procedure must be followed to resolve the duplicate configuration and restore the ALUA configuration. This procedure will cause WWPNs on one of the two nodes to change. The change to WWPNs will require fibre channel zoning configuration updates after the new WWPNs have been generated."

Hope this helps you.

Output follows from my filers to show you an example.

MyFiler> lun config_check -v

Checking for down fcp interfaces

The following FCP HBAs appear to be down

0c  LINK NOT CONNECTED

0a  LINK NOT CONNECTED

Checking initiators with mixed/incompatible settings

No Problems Found

Checking igroup ALUA settings

(null)  No Problems Found

Checking for nodename conflicts

No Problems Found

Checking for initiator group and lun map conflicts

No Problems Found

Checking for igroup ALUA conflicts

No Problems Found

Checking for duplicate WWPNs

The following WWPNs are duplicate:

500a0981892accc6

500a0982892accc6

500a0983892accc6

500a0984892accc6

MyFiler> Fri May 31 10:09:20 EDT [MyFiler:scsitarget.conflicting.wwpns:error]: Local node and partner node have conflicting WWPNs and ALUA states which will degrade host MPIO performance.

My Filer1

MyFiler1> fcp show adapter

Slot:                    0c

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0c (QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

Adapter Type:            Local

FC Nodename:             50:0a:09:80:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0980892accc6)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:83:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0983892accc6)

Standby:                 No

Slot:                    0d

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0d (QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:81:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0981892accc6)

Slot:                    0a

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0a (QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:84:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0984892accc6)

Slot:                    0b

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0b (QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:82:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0982892accc6)

MyFiler2

MyFiler2> fcp show adapter

Slot:                    0c

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0c (QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:81:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0981892accc6)

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0d (QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:82:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0982892accc6)

Slot:                    0a

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0a (QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:83:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0983892accc6)

Slot:                    0b

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0b (QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:84:89:2a:cc:c6 (500a0984892accc6)

pedro.rocha Cyclist

Hi!

But correcting that solved your issue? Is everything fine now?

Regards,

Pedro Rocha.

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM, gatorman1369 <

gatorman1369 Novice

Have not preformed the operations just yet, I'd like all hosts that are connected to be down and need to schedule that out.

I've identified a major issue that points in the direction of not just ALUA, but all multipathing not functioning correctly. Since I've determined this to be an issue I've gone back to RHEL and Exchange servers connected to these filers, they are also affected by this but it wasn't apparent at first glance. The description of duplicate WWPN's and what ALUA is doing from the netapp kb certainly fits my issue. Let us know if the lun config_check -v comes up with anything.

pedro.rocha Cyclist

Ok, I see.

I will not be able to run the command this week, since this is located at a

customer site.

Regarding duplicate WWPNs, I was able to check that via MyAutosupport and

it is not the case.

Regards,

Pedro.

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM, gatorman1369 <

Sergio_Santos Novice

Sweet lord this is the best solution I've heard in months! I don't have the exact setup but I might end up trying this anyway when I can schedule an outtage window. What differs in my situation is the four FC ports that I'm using do not have duplicate WWPNs thus the zoning "looks" correct. I also hypothesize that's why my "lun config_check -v" doesn't report the duplicate WWPNs message. But (and this is a BIG but), when I compare the complete "fcp show adapters" list on both filers there are links that are not connected with the exact same WWPNs between both. This may be enough to confuse the NetApps and send the incorrect ALUA info. That makes total sense to me. Here's my fcp show adapters dump (duplicates in bold & underlined):

filer1> fcp show adapter

Slot:                    4a

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 4a (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2464) rev. 3)

FC Nodename:             50:0a:09:80:86:f7:b3:14 (500a098086f7b314)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:83:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098396f7b314)

Slot:                    4b

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 4b (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2464) rev. 3)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:84:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098496f7b314)

Slot:                    4c

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 4c (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2464) rev. 3)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:85:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098596f7b314)

Slot:                    4d

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 4d (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2464) rev. 3)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:86:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098696f7b314)

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0d (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:82:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098296f7b314)

filer2> fcp show adapter

Slot:                    4a

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 4a (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2464) rev. 3)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:81:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098196f7b314)

Slot:                    4b

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 4b (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2464) rev. 3)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:82:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098296f7b314)

Slot:                    4c

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 4c (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2464) rev. 3)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:83:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098396f7b314)

Slot:                    4d

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 4d (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2464) rev. 3)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:84:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098496f7b314)

Description:             Fibre Channel Target Adapter 0d (Dual-channel, QLogic 2432 (2462) rev. 2)

FC Portname:             50:0a:09:85:96:f7:b3:14 (500a098596f7b314)

Sergio_Santos Novice

Hang tight fellas, I'm working on an outtage window to do the duplicate WWPN fix. I might be able to test it later this week.

gatorman1369 Novice

Haven't forgetting about this or you guys  

We are going to preform the maintenance today or tomorrow.

From our technical support engineer last correspondence.

//Start

I have finally found the root cause of why this happened, basically it is being caused by any of these 2 bugs

268320 - WWPN's are identical on both heads of a single_image cluster

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=268320

538094 - Check for duplicate WWPNs during bootup

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=538094

The steps to fix this issue are in the kb article you sent me before

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013497

Below you will find the steps to change the WWPN, page 147

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1277787

Steps

1.    Take the adapter offline by entering the following command: fcp config adapter down

Example

fcp config 4a down

2.    Display the existing WWPNs by entering the following command: fcp portname show [-v]

If you do not use the -v option, all currently used WWPNs and their associated adapters are displayed. If you use the -v option, all other valid WWPNs that are not being used are also shown.

3.    Set the new WWPN for a single adapter or swap WWPNs between two adapters. If you are swapping between two adapters, make sure you take both adapters offline first.

Use this command . . .     To do this . . .

fcp portname set adapter wwpn    Set the new WWPN on a single adapter.

fcp portname swap adapter1 adapter2    Swap WWPNs between two adapters.

4.    Example

5.    fcp portname set 4a 10:00:00:00:c9:30:80:2

6.    Example

7.    fcp portname swap 3a 4a

8.    Bring the adapter back online by entering the following command: fcp config adapter up

Example

fcp config 4a up

This is not a disruptive process, even though you have to bring the fcp port down there is a path misconfigured that is causing both controllers to use the same wwpn, so we have a duplicate path.

If you go ahead and make the changes in the partner controller, there won’t be any service affectation.

// End

It may be non-disruptive but I've been down that road a few times...Luckily for me, this is at a DR site where I can get away with powering off all of my workloads after hours. YMMV

gatorman1369 Novice

Issue resolved

On one of our filers we did the following...

Issued a "fcp portname show [-v]" to get a list of all available WWPN's. Remember that ours had the same ones for both filers, so we need to select new ones from a list.

Then, we issued the "fcp portname set adapter wwpn" to change offending duplicate WWPN's

We did cf takeovers thinking that was all that their was to it. But then we noticed when issuing a "lun config" from both filers that the partner.single_image.key values were not set to be each others partner.

From the KB: 1013497

Resolving duplicate fibre channel WWPNs between nodes in an HA-pair

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013497&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=null#Storage_controller_head_upgrade_best_practice_procedure_for_SAN

WWPNs can be duplicated across ports in an HA-pair under certain circumstances. As a side effect, to duplicate WWPNs, the ALUA configuration will also be duplicated causing all MPIO path states to be either optimized or non-optimized. This issue typically occurs when existing HA-pair systems configured with FCP are split and rejoined with the new nodes. The following procedure must be followed to resolve the duplicate configuration and restore the ALUA configuration. This procedure will cause WWPNs on one of the two nodes to change. The change to WWPNs will require fibre channel zoning configuration updates after the new WWPNs have been generated.

Stop the FCP service on both the nodes.

Run the following commands:

> priv set diag

*> lun config set local.single_image.key “”

*> lun config set partner.single_image.key “”

Repeat the process on the other node.

Perform a takeover and giveback of each node, or reboot each node.

After we did this we also had to re-zone the fabric because the filer got new WWN's.

Thinking back on this, I am not sure we even needed to do the "fcp portname set adapter wwpn" commands on all four FCP adapters because when we did the "lun config set..." commands the WWPN's changed again.

Also, there is no way I would have done this during the day as we definitely had all paths down a few times on ESXi hosts as well as some RHEL hosts. Luckily we planned for a few admins to help out with shutdowns and were able to knock this out successfully.

Happy this is resolved for us - I may share some of our before and after configs when I get back in the office in the AM.

gatorman1369 Novice

Here is a before config where you can see that the partner.single_image.key values I mentioned above were not correctly set to each others local.single_image.key. So not only were our WWPNs the same across filers but we also had to make sure these keys were correctly configured. ALUA will not work until this partner configuration is correct. I also suspect this may very well be some of your issues who aren't seeing the duplicate WWPN messages when you run the "lun config_check -v" like pedro.rocha. His WWPns could be OK but the partner configurations may not be... I'd also take a look at your ispfct.single_image.nodename and related values.

MyFiler1> priv set diag

Warning: These diagnostic commands are for use by NetApp

personnel only.

MyFiler1*> lun config

local.single_image.key = "151702736"

partner.single_image.key = "151702726"

iscsi.nodename = "iqn.1992-08.com.netapp:sn.151702736"

local.serialnum = "70000802"

fc-port-0b = "9"

fc-port-0d = "9"

ispfct.local.nodename = "d0ccfa8980090a50"

fcp.fabric = "dual"

ispfct.portname.0d = "0"

ispfct.portname.0b = "1"

copy_offload.state = "true"

vaw.state = "true"

write_same.state = "true"

ispfct.portname.storage = "0d:0,0b:1,0c:2,0a:3,"

iscsi.disabled_interface = "e0M:vif1-340:"

ispfct.nodename = "c6cc2a8980090a50"

ispfct.single_image.nodename = "c6cc2a8980090a50"

partner.serialnum = "70000801"

filer.serialnum = "70000802"

ispfct.mode = "single_image"

ispfct.partner.nodename = "c6cc2a8980090a50"

MyFiler2> priv set diag

Warning: These diagnostic commands are for use by NetApp

personnel only.

MyFiler2*> lun config

local.single_image.key = "151702726"

partner.single_image.key = "151702484"

copy_offload.state = "true"

vaw.state = "true"

write_same.state = "true"

iscsi.nodename = "iqn.1992-08.com.netapp:sn.151702726"

local.serialnum = "70000801"

local.single_image.key = "151702726"

partner.single_image.key = "151702484"

ispfct.local.nodename = "c6cc2a8980090a50"

fc-port-0a = "9"

fc-port-0b = "9"

fc-port-0c = "9"

fc-port-0d = "9"

ispfct.nodename = "c6cc2a8980090a50"

ispfct.single_image.nodename = "c6cc2a8980090a50"

partner.serialnum = "70000802"

filer.serialnum = "70000801"

fcp.service = "on"

iscsi.disabled_interface = "e0M:vif1-340:"

ispfct.portname.storage = "0c:4,0d:5,0a:6,0b:7,"

ispfct.config.0a = "up"

ispfct.config.0b = "up"

ispfct.config.0c = "up"

ispfct.config.0d = "up"

ispfct.mode = "single_image"

ispfct.partner.nodename = "c6cc2a8980090a50"

iscsi.service = "on"

Sergio_Santos Novice

Sorry for the delay guys (it was more difficult to get an outtage window than I thought). I tried the steps in Gatorman's link--this one under: "Resolving duplicate fibre channel WWPNs between nodes in an HA-pair" https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013497

And I'm glad to report everything is now working as expected! I did a full reboot of the nodes--not a takeover/giveback--and ran the "priv set diag" and then "lun config" to verify the local.single_image.key and partner.single_image.key were updated properly. My test ESX server is now back on the ALUA module and only 2 of the 4 paths have Active (I/O). Stopping the FCP service properly kills the paths on one node and fails over to the partner.

I'm not sure how duplicate WWPNs were missed by multiple NetApp techs, but I can't say I'm not a little disappointed. The Configuration Checker software also doesn't report this, nor is it caught in the NetApp autosupport cloud. Unless you find that specific KB article, you're in the Twilight Zone!

EDIT -- I forgot to mention the fix will only change the WWPNs on one node (the other's will remain the same). For the changed node's WWPNs you will need to go back and re-zone (or change aliases in my case). If you're quick to look over the 'fcp show adapters' output you might miss the changed WWPNs and think the fix didn't work.

ritchi641 Novice

While you are talking about ALUA and initiator group (igroup). We have lun only on one controler, the other one is CIFS only.

When we go from non-alua to alua, did we have to activate ALUA on each igroup on both controler in case of a failover.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points