12 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 11:33 PM by proactgoran RSS

SFR with VSC 4.1 and VMware 5.1

proactgoran
Currently Being Moderated

We created a Limited Self-Service SFR, exparation 1 hour, got the disks mounted on destination VM without any problems. When done we left the mounted disk as they were but they where not unmounted after one hour. Tried to delete the SFR session but got the error "FLOW-11019: Failure in DeleteFileRestoreKeyTask: java.lang.RuntimeException". Followed KB 2010312 and got rid of the SFR session after reboot of VC server but the mount  where still in place. Had to go to the VM in VC and choice edit setting to remove the mounted disks and then we were able to unmount the backup in VC, not from VSC it did not show any mounted backups.

Attached VSC logs.

Anyone seen this?

• Re: SFR with VSC 4.1 and VMware 5.1
    shead2

Just happened to me today (3/28/13)

I created an SFR  limited session on Monday and the VSC worked flawlessly but mounting all the necessary datastores and attaching the missing files to a temporary VM so we could recover.  Worked great!

However, now I am trying to delete the session and get the same error as described above.

FLOW-11019: Failure in DeleteFileRestoreKeyTask:java.lang.RuntimeException.

I will following kb 2010312 but any additional help would be much appreciated.

proactgoran

Hello

Got this from NetApp

"it appears that you are hitting a known issue, Bug # 622085 ( http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=622085 ).  There is also a workaround:

• Restart the SMVI service from the Windows services list.

Good news as well, it is listed as fixed and should be included in the next version of VSC.

So we will wait for VSC4.2

braunt-vr2swiss

Hi

Thanks for your answer. In our Case is not fixed with the Workaround described in Bug # 622085

In such a Situation we have to do following steps:

Manually Remove all Steps

- Remove VMDK from the Server (Configuration)

- Umount sfr Clone from the ESX server

- remove nfs export from the Filer

- Delete Clone in Filer

- Rename the mounts.xml file to mounts.xml.<date>

- Rename the sfrmounts.xml file to sfrmounts.xml.<date>

- Restart the SMVI service.

- Delete the lockfile under C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\locks or Move the VM (Otherwise our Backup doesn't not Work anymore)

jop.jpg

This is really crappy in a production Environment . So I hope 4.2 comes in the near Future......

Additional Info:

When we create a sfr Session and afterward delete the sfr session manually this Problem not Occurs. Only happen

when the sfr Session stay fe. 1 hour.....

regards

Thomas

proactgoran

We had to reboot the VC server to get a clean VSC gui.

I hope VSC 4.2 is round the corner.

braunt-vr2swiss

Hi

VSC 4.2 is available ...

regards

Thomas

proactgoran

Good news

Thanks

braunt-vr2swiss

Hi

Do you have the possibility to Test 4.2? Because I have found following Statement in the RNs of VSC4.2

Known Issues:

Mounted backup not automatically removed when the restore session

expires. Although the restore session and mounted backup should be automatically removed when the restore

session expires, this did not occur.

Workaround: You must restart the SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure server service and delete

the SFR session manually, as follows:

1. From All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services, right-click SnapManager VI service

in the list of services and select Start.

2. From Home > Solutions and Applications, select NetApp > Backup and Recovery > Single

File Restore, select the expired restore session ID, and click Delete.

regards

Thomas

proactgoran

Hi Thomas

I have just tested to do a sfr on our VMware installation (vSphere Client 5.1.0 Build 860230, VMware vCenter Server 5.1.0 Build 880146) with VSC 4.2 installed.

I created a SFR session with "limited Self-Service (Admin Assisted with pre-mounted backups).

This worked out fine. The only thing I had to was to make the disk online on the windows host were it was mounted.

When this was done the session was deleted when it was expired and the disk was dismounted from the server and the backup was unmounted.

So the VSC 4.2 cleaned up correct when the session expired.

Regards

Goran

braunt-vr2swiss

Hi Goran

Thanks a lot for you feedback. Its very helpful for me To know it works now correctly.. So I can upgrade next Week :-)

Regards

Thomas

braunt-vr2swiss

FYI:

In the Windows Server 2008 R2 release, the SAN policy was changed to prevent disks from

automatically coming online if the disk signature matches an existing disk signature.

If you have a Limited Self Service Restore job, you must manually mark the disk online using a tool

such as diskpart or the Disk Management MMC plug-in. After you do that, drive letters are assigned

to the partitions

Thats why you have to online manually the Disks

proactgoran

Thanks for the explanation why the disk showed up as offline.

I used the MMC to get it online.

Yesterday I did a upgrade from VSC 2.1.2 to VSC 4.2 without any problems.

For safty, I copied the Repository and ETC folders before I did the upgrade.

During the installation I got a question if I wanted to delete all existing VSC data which I answered NO on to keep all data.

Good luck next week

/Göran

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...