9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 12:44 PM by chy@systex.com.hk RSS

Snapmirror 7.2.xx to 8.xx

keyurjoshi
Currently Being Moderated

Hello All,

We have a NetApp 2050C in house with dual controller running Data ontap version 7.2.6.1. We are planning to upgrade to FAS 2240A series that comes along with ontap version 8.xx

Could someone please let me know if it would be possible to run volume snapmirror between the two? Or will i have to upgrade to ontap version 7.3.x on my source filer?

I referred to tr-3446 where the snapmirror compatibility matrix starts from ontap versions 7.3.xx.

thanks in advance.

• Re: Snapmirror 7.2.xx to 8.xx
    scottgelb

For 8.1.2 the guide does list 7.2 under Considerations for the use of SnapMirror "Prerequisites for SnapMirror" , but the next page "Volume SnapMirror Interoperability Matrix" lists 7.3.  Link to the doc below.  We have tested 7.2 in the lab and it did work to 8.1, but I would upgrade to 7.3 on the source...you likely will want to mirror 32-bit to 64-bit too and that is explicit in the matrix for 7.3.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1141750/html/frameset.html

keyurjoshi

Thanks for the reply Scott, as far as i understand, ontap 8.0.x by default creates 32 bit aggregates, so all i need to do is upgrade the source filer to 7.3 and start snapmirror, right??

Also, if 'am using ver 8.1.x in the destination, it supports snapmirror for both 32 and 64 bit aggr, in this case too, all i have to do is just initiate the snapmirror, right?

scottgelb

Correct. But 8.0 can create 64 with -B 64 on create. And 8.1+ can mirror 32 bit source to 64 bit target. When the mirror breaks it converts to 64 I'm the background.

Sent from my iPhone 5

keyurjoshi

Excellent! Thanks a ton Scott!

PHILMEAGHER

Scott do you know if the upgrade from 32bit on the destination to 64bit is disruptive, I mean you have to break the existing snapmirror relationship this is a given but regarding the actual upgrade do you need to kill your cifs or do a reboot (just need to organise outage if required is all).

if it helps its on a 3160

Ta

miguelvalls

Hey man I have done an upgrade from a FAS3020 with 7.3.6 to a FAS2240-2 with 8.1.2 7-mode, all with snapmirror from 32bits to 64bit  even with the volroot. That Was very ease, on destination create your volumes by default (64bit) you know with size equal or higher, restrict it, create SM relationship and after that, quiesce, break and then release SM relationship. After complete all volumes when you break it convert the volumes to 64bits because your source data was 32. With volroot after break mirror assign options root to that volume and rename the vol0 to vol0_old and reboot. Reinstall data ontap 8.1.x and you will have all settings, shares and data in your new FAS2240, take in mind that this steps are very resumed but works very well but remember to upgrade to 7.3.6 first in the way that DOT can convert the labels in a natural way.

Hope that this info helps.

Regards,

Mike

scottgelb

All in the background. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone 5

chy@systex.com.hk

Hi Mr. Scott;

We also encountered a same situation to migrate data from  FAS2050 (Data ONTAP version is 7.2.5.1) to FAS2240-4 (Data ONTAP version is 8.1.4 or 8.2).

The data aggregate on FAS2050 is 32-bit, and the data aggregate on FAS2240-4 is 64-bit.

Do we have to upgrade Data ONTAP version to v7.3.x for FAS2050 before we start data migration using volume-level SnapMirror?

On the other hand, as I knew, volume-level SnapMirror will maintain all snapshot copies in destination volume. But do know whether below information also can be maintained in destination volume?

- Snapshot configuration for the volume (including schedule, retention period, maximal snapshot copies to be kept)

- Qtree & Quota

- Qtree share

Appreciated for your advice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links