1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 9:10 PM by niyaz RSS

Snapmanager Exchange - Restore fails 1st time round

gavin.meadows Sprinter
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All,

I am testing database restores in a new DAG but the job fails the 1st time but then works on the 2nd time.

I am backing up the passive copy and then restoring it (point in time) onto the same server.  The backup is a full verified backup and I also select to verify the logs and database metadata as part of the restore.

Checked in EMS I can see the passive db (that I am restoring) becomes the active copy and both DB's are dismounted.

all goes wee but the last 3 tasks fail:

VSS port-restore in Progress

Starting database recovery after VSS restore

Completing SnapManager restore

the event logs show:

Exchange VSS Writer failed restoring a backup with error code -1086 when running database recovery after restore for database1

Exchange VSS Writer failed restoring a backup with error code -1086 when performing an integrity-check of the log files to be used for database recovery after restore for database1

Exchange VSS Writer failed with error code -1086 when processing the post-restore event.

If any databases were restored, they are likely in a dirty-shutdown state.

SnapManager for Exchange restore operation failed.

Error Code: 0xc00413ca

SnapManager detected the following Exchange writer error. Please retry SnapManager operation.

VSS_E_WRITERERROR_RETRYABLE: The writer failed due to an error that might not occur if another snapshot copy is created.

If I rerun the job then it completes but I then have to do a full reseed of the (now) passive copy.

I have tried this on 2 separate databases now both with the same results, has anyone seen this before?

here's the software versions being used:

DOT 8.1.2 7mode

Exchange 2010 Sp2

SDW 6.4.1

cheers!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points