6 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2013 2:07 AM by cyrilrobert RSS

VMFS datastore

mrobicho
Currently Being Moderated

Hi folk,  Good job for this very useful tool.   Could you tell me whether VMFS is supported ? I've installed this plugin on vCenter 5.1 and I'm able to see only NFS Datastore.

Thanks a lot.

Mathias

• Re: VMFS datastore
    abrian

Hi Mathias,

Only the NFS datastores that reside on the MetroCluster are shown.   The original requirements were only for NFS datastores, and we've haven't had any requests for extending the capability beyond that, yet.   Can you describe more about the configuration you have or the environment you need supported?

Thanks

Brian

mrobicho

Hi Brian and thanks for your reply,

Basically, we just need support of both NFS and VMFS. Several users would like to use this plugin with their MetroClusters but they could be stopped if this plugin didn't be supported with LUN and VMFS.

Also, we could imagine to get VMFS datastores from VSC inventory (I guess that to map VMFS Datastores with LUN only by ONTAPI is harder than for NFS).

Honestly, this plugin is very useful for us (I'm in France and you know, EMEA is a big market place for MetroCluster). If this limitation could be removed, I would plan a huge breakthrough for this plugin.

Finally, maybe you should update the AdminGuide, I didn't see any limitations about VMFS.

Regards

Mathias

abrian

Thanks Mathias,

That's good feedback.  I will add the limitation to the Community page and the Admin Guide as you suggest.   I will also discuss support for VMFS with other members of the team.

Thanks!

Brian

cyrilrobert

Hello,

Are there a date for the support of the VMFS datastore ?

I have also a suggestion for the configuration of the sites.

Was it possible to list the esx in a dialog box and let us choose which esx should go in a site ?

Thank you.

abrian

HI,

I just released version 3.0 of MetroCluster vSphere Plugin with VMFS support!  It has been running in beta at several customers with no issues reported, so I felt it was safe to release.  Let me know if you encounter any problems.

The change to support listing ESX hosts (instead of pattern matching) is a significant one.  I'm not sure when I will be able to address that request, unless a specific enhancement request for that functionality comes as part of a customer engagement.  If you can send me a list of ESX server names at each site, I may be able to come up with a regular expression to help place them correctly. 

Thanks,

Brian

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...