10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 2:11 AM by laniocedric RSS

How to SnapVault SMVI (VMware based) backups with OnCommand Core 5.0 and Host Agent 1.1 without SV-SMVI Script

Charles Adams Novice
Currently Being Moderated

First and foremost, this is a rough draft and has the potential for revision. Screenshots will be added later. Please comment on this for improvements

Assumptions:

1) OnCommand Core 5.0 is installed using the Custom install method (not building canned options)

2) OnCommand Host Agent 1.1 is installed and registered with vCenter and OnCommand Core. (Can see Virtual machines as well as hosts, etc)

3) Needs a resource pool established for destination location.

4) All NetApp Controllers are licensed for SnapVault and SMVI, as well as had the SnapVault enabled via CLI.

5) All NetApp Controllers involved are registered with OnCommand Core.

6) Have an appropriate Protection policy setup with schedules, and the type of protection would be based off the "Back up" policy type. (Local backup on primary, then back up primary to secondary; I created one based off "Back up" and modified the schedules, retention, and called it "SMVI Backups")

Process:

Create Storage Service:

1) Open NetApp Management Console 3.1 and go to "Manage Data", then "Policies", then "Storage Services"

2) Click "Add", and select "Next".

3) Type in appropriate information, with a minimum of "Name" (I called it "Thin Provision NFS then SnapVault") and select "Next".

4) Select appropriate "Group" (I used Global), then Select "Next"

5) Select your appropriate "Protection Policy" (i.e. "SMVI Backups") and select Next.

6) For "Primary Data" I left defaults (Provisioning= None, vFiler = None, No resource pools selected). Select "Next"

7) Select destination "Resource Pool" and include it in the "Resource pools in this node" , leave the rest blank. Select "Next"

8) Select "Finish", Close Management Console.

Create Policy:

1) Open OnCommand Core web console

2) Select "Policies" Tab.

3) Select "Create" -> "VMware Policy"

4) Create a Unique name (I used "VMware Remote Office")

5) Create a Schedule (I just created a daily schedule that runs at 10PM everyday.

6) Under "Backup Options" column I clicked "View" and checked the box for "Start remote backup after local backup"

7) Clicked "Ok"

Assign Policy:

1) Click "Server" tab.

2) Select "VMware VMs"

3) Select Virtual Machine to protect, right click and select "Back Up" -> then "Using New Dataset"

4) Assign a Name (I called mine SMVI Replicated) and Details, select "Data" and include any Virtual Machines to be replicated.

5) Under "Local Policy" I selected "VMware Remote Office". If you expand the policy you will see your schedules and options configured previously.

6) Under the Storage Service area click the drop down and select the Storage Service you created in the Management Console (i.e. Thin Provision NFS then SnapVault)

7) Click "Ok" at the bottom.

8) Right Click the machine and select "Back Up Now"

9) Dataset name should be the once you just created (i.e. SMVI Replicated)

10) Retain for however long you want to keep it for. Check the box at the bottom that says "Start remote backup after local backup". Click ok.

This should start the process for conformance and creating a Volume and Qtrees on the destination. Once you run the backup you see via the CLI on the destination controller the SnapVault relationship via "snapvault status".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points