2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2012 4:22 AM by jo30233an RSS

Netapp Filer Log files

GUVNIJJAR
Currently Being Moderated

I am new to Netapp and use various filers to support such as the FAS 2040, FAS6070, FAS3070 to name a few.  I wanted to find about the logging, where all the system messages,event, errors are logged for the filers and what are the log files and where are they located, so at least I am aware in case of troubleshooting purposes.  Is there a link which explains about logging, or can anyone advise.

Thanks

• Re: Netapp Filer Log files
    peter.lehmann

The NetApp Controllers have the "messages" file, which logs the console output to these files. You can find it in the root volume, in the /etc directory.

All other logfiles are located in the subdirectory /logs in the same location as before.

If you want to get them centrally, install OnCommand Core 5.0, which will collect and track all events on your systems in a central location and provide a webinterface to access the information.

Peter

• Re: Netapp Filer Log files
    jo30233an

The following list outlines the various log files and their locations used by Data ONTAP. In addition, ONTAP also uses syslogd daemon to log system messages (and uses the config file /etc/syslog.conf)

/etc/log/messages (symbolic link to /etc/messages) 
    SnapMirror:
    /etc/log/snapmirror 
    FlexClone:
    /etc/log/clone 
    Auditlog:
    /etc/log/auditlog 
    Deduplication:
    /etc/log/sis 
    LACP:
    /etc/log/lacp_log 
    Backup:
    /etc/log/backup and /etc/log/ndmpdlog