19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2013 3:07 PM by adaikkap RSS

Purging the DFM Database

kofchur
Currently Being Moderated

I have a customer that has been experiencing alot performance problems with reporting with his Operations Manager server (4.0.2).  After doing some investigating, I came across this in tr-3440, OnCommand 5.0 Sizing Guide:

<<When the difference between the following commands are more than 2x then contact NGS to prune your db for improving the responce times.

<<dfm volume list -a and the volume list is 3x or more

<<dfm qtree list -a and qtree list is 2x or more

<<dfm lun list -a and lun list is 2x or more

<<dfm host list -a and host list is 2x or more

Going by the 4.0 Sizing Guide (the older tr-3440) it says that the max number of volumes and qtree for a setup with DFM, ProtMgr, and ProvMgr is 1650 volumes and 5800 qtrees.  This customer of mine also has Performance Advisor running and the out put of the above commands is 85k+ for volumes (51x over limit) and 48k+ for qtrees (8x over limit)!  So, it appears that the experienced performance problems, to at least some extent, are due to the massive ammounts of historical data lingering around and thus should be purged.

Now, I know of all the warnings about purging a filer object and that purging a filer object will also purge every record that it owns and hence could take a long time and you would be better off just installing the database.  However, since I'm not intending to purge the filer object but just volumes and qtrees, what would be the impact of this?  Will it take a long time and/or will it impact performance?

Also, if reinstalling the database would be the fastest and best way, is there a way to export the ProtMgr configs and reimport them back into the newly installed database?  Otherwise we would have to document all the datasets and manually reconfigure them (yuck!).

Thanks for any input!

todd

• Purging the DFM Database
    adaikkap
    Currently Being Moderated

The number you are talking about 1650 & 5800 volumes and qtrees respectively is for a DFM with all license enabled(ie Ops-Mgr, Perf Advisor,Prot Mgr and Prov Mgr) which is just 40 nodes.

But the number is 10K and 50K volumes and qtrees for a just a DFM server doing only OM + PA with 250 node.

If your difference between dfm volume list and dfm volume list -a is more than 3X and similarly for others, then its time you purge you data of those deleted instances from the DB.

As anyways you wont be able to access them unless you guys uses the -a options in the cli. It makes perfect sense to run the db pruning.

You should also thing about moving to OnCommand 5.0 which is a 65 bit architecture and takes advantage of the available compute and memory.

Pls do open a NGS case and get your db cleaned and perf data too, after that you will definitely feel the difference. BTW do you have lot of snapmanagers in your environment ?

If thats the case its the flexclone volumes/luns that is the cause for lot of these deleted instance.

Regards

adai

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...