13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2008 6:21 AM by tomas_netherlands RSS

DR for VMware with Site Recovery Manager

NetApp Employee Sprinter
Currently Being Moderated

NetApp disaster recovery and backup guru Darrin Chapman recently submitted an article to Tech OnTap about major issues associated with DR planning, and how VMware's Site Recovery Manager can streamline this process. You can check out the full article at http://www.netapp.com/us/communities/tech-ontap/srm-0708.html.

Darrin would be thrilled to hear any feedback on the article, points folks find valuable, and especially questions that you might have ...

• Re: DR for VMware with Site Recovery Manager
    thomasross Novice

We  are in the planning stage of building a DR site using a NetApp filer and VMware servers. This is meant to duplicate our production site which has 6 physical HP DL380 servers and two Microsoft clusters.  Both sites will have a NetApp filer and we will use Snap Mirror to duplicate the data at the DR site.

In this case, with  physical servers at one site and virtual at the other, will SRM help us to configure and manage our DR site?

NetApp Employee Novice

Hello,

This Article is excellent and given an insight on the Vmware using snapmirror. I just couple of question,

1. When we say, in the event of disaster, SRM starts all the server & bring up the virtual environment, does it also takes care of the Application?

I mean does it bring up the Database, Application Services & Web Services??

2. Does snapmirror provided Journal based replication (Like Universal Replicator in Hitachi Disk Subsystem)??

Regards.

Sarvan

NetApp Employee Novice

First of all, sorry for my delay in responding here... I've spent some time on airplanes recently.

In a nutshell, the answers to your questions are 'no'. Let me elaborate a little though...

1. Essentially SRM monitors and discovers existing SnapMirror relationships with virtual machines. It replicates data and virtual machines by bringing up consistent snapshot copies of the VMs and then booting, powering, and registering servers. SRM can bring up servers in a particular order, but it doesn't actually manage the applications running on these servers. Usually with an app like Oracle or Exchange you want an administrator involved at some point anyway.

2. When replicating data SnapMirror looks at physical block maps that represent our volumes and focuses on changes at a 4K level. Unlike other replication products, NetApp starts by creating a snapshot instead of working with a live file system, thereby eliminating the production burden. Only changed data based on the snapshot copy is replicated. A technical discussion about the NetApp WAFL file system and snapshot creation plus links to detailed technical papers is featured in The NetApp DNA, a Tech OnTap article at http://partners.netapp.com/go/techontap/matl/NetApp_DNA.html.

Thanks.

-Darrin Chapman

Sprinter

I've created a SRM in a box setup with 2 netapp simulators, 2 virtual esx servers and 2 virtual domaincontrollers hosting vc and srm in  vmware Wokstation 6.5 on 1 host with 6 gm ram. I've documented this. you can download the document @ www.tendam.info

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...