6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2014 3:31 PM by joyent.com RSS

SNMP problem: [snmp.agent.resp.failed:warning]: Could not send response to host : <IP of the host> : reason : Failure could be due to either DNS/gateway misconfiguration or takeover/giveback in progress

tar_gr Novice
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

we have a problem with SNMP responses on the filer (running ONTAP 7.3.2P5).

I am trying to do a snmpwalk over the NetApp MIB:

D:\usr\bin>snmpwalk -v 2c -c public <IPof the filer> 1.3.6.1.4.1 > netappsnmp.txt

after about 30min. (the filer has a lot of vFilers and about 200 volumes and is pretty busy) the snmpwalk fails and I receive the following error from snmpwalk:

Timeout: No Response from <IP of the filer>

Looking at results (the netappsnmp.txt file) I see, that collection is aborted always in different places, sometimes earlier and sometimes later.

The filer logs at that time the following error:

[snmp.agent.resp.failed:warning]: Could not send response to host : <IP of the host> : reason : Failure could be due to either DNS/gateway misconfiguration or takeover/giveback in progress 

The filer and the host are on the same subnet, so there are no gateways between them. And the network is functioning properly - all accesses through CIFS, SSH, Telnet etc are succesfull.

Snmpwalk through the SNMPv2 MIB is working correctly without timeouts (D:\usr\bin>snmpwalk -v 2c -c public <IPof the filer> > snmp.txt).

Do you have any ideas regarding this issue?

with best regards,

Taras Grytsulyak

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points